Metal roofs are a new trend in the city. It’s become popular because of its durability, easy to install process, and many more. Because of being budget-friendly, the metal roof is an alternative to asphalt shingle nowadays. It’s a wise choice to install metal roofs on your house. There are many companies around you, such as London Eco Metal, who are giving quality services when it comes to installing metal roofs. Though there are professionals, you can install metal roofs by yourself too. In this article, you’ll find the best tips to install a roof on your own.
Why a metal roof?
There are several reasons why you should choose a metal roof. Some of them are:
- Durability: Metal roofing becomes so popular because of its Durability. Metal roofs can last about two to three times longer than asphalt shingle roofs, which generally have to be replaced every 17 to 25 years.
- Weather-resistant: The metal roof provides more excellent protection because it has a high resistance to weather conditions. Due to its toughness, sheet metal roofing is also suitable for areas with high-temperature fluctuations and normal inclement weather conditions, providing maximum protection in all seasons.
- Easy to install: The metal roof has the potential to be quickly and easily mounted. Skilled roofers will be able to build it for you in 2 to 5 days in summer and winter.
- Easy maintenance: Sheet metal roofs typically need little or no supervision. It can be cleaned with water. But you have to inspect the condition after the end of every season.
- An ecological choice: The metal roof is 100% recyclable, which makes it more ecologically friendly. Most of the metal roofing panels are made from recycled materials.
There are different ways to install metal panels on your roof. But in this article, you’ll find the most comfortable process to install the panel. Metal roofs come in various types of styles and colors, suitable for all classes. Though it is a bit more expensive than other roof materials, if you can set up your metal roof properly, you don’t have to worry about it for the next 50-60 years. So it is a good investment overall.
Step 1 – Correct measurement
You can measure the area of your roof in two ways. One is from the ground, but professionals suggest another way, counting from the top of the roof. Carefully measure the area because if you make any mistake, there will be problems while installing the panels. Multiply the length by the wide to find the exact floor area. Don’t forget to convert the number into the roof square.
Step 2 – Gather your tools
You’ll need several tools if you’re going to install the roof by yourself. For the perfect installation of metal roofing, the right instruments are essential. A tape measure, a chalk line, a caulking gun, metal fragments, a screw gun, and a hammer are standard equipment. You can rent electric metal shears, a circular saw, or other mechanical cutting instruments from hardware or home improvement shops.
Step 3 – Order your materials
The 3rd step is ordering the materials. There are different types of metal plates, such as aluminum, copper, zinc, etc. There are various sizes, but you can order customized shapes for yourself. However, it’ll add more cost to the budget. But it depends on your budget what you will choose. Then order the amount according to your need. Remember to order 10% additional metal panels while ordering to cover future waste or error.
Step 4 – Remove the old roof
Now you have the tools and materials that you need for installing a new roof. Now it is time to remove the old one. You’ve to be careful while removing the old shingles. Be cautious about the weather. It is best to work on a sunny day. It’ll reduce the possibility of water damage. Starting from the highest point is the best guidance suggested by professionals. First, remove the oldest shingles and then go on.
Step 5 – Install metal panels
After removing the old roof, the plywood sheathing and roof frame will be uncovered. If you want to repair them, inspect them, and fix them before installing the new roof.
There are a starting ridge and an overlapping ridge on each metal roof. Start on one end of the roof with overlapping peaks and hang gently from the ceiling. Make sure it is perpendicular to the rest of the top for the first portion. Tighten the first roof using bolts. Tighten the bolts so that the panel fits but is not extruded fully. The main thing is that they are comfortable with each screw. Otherwise, from the raindrops, rainwater can flow out inside your house.
Step 6 – Finishing
Once you have done installing your panels, check that all the panels are correctly placed. Then collect all the unused and waste materials to keep our area clean.
These tips can save your money from taking the help of a metal roofing service company. But remember that it’s very troublesome work. So it is better to take help from the experts if you have money. Otherwise, you can follow the tips mentioned above, but be careful about your assets’ safety and security.