Plumbing issues can be a big problem, and tenants and landlords have specific roles and responsibilities that help to create a harmonious tenancy relationship. Blocked drains, broken toilets, and emergency plumbing are common problems in the tenancy world.

The landlord’s responsibility is to ensure the property is safe to live in, and repairs are carried out on a regular basis. With this in mind, wear and tear is common and expected, however, there are some issues that the tenant does cover particularly in the case of malicious damage.

Who is responsible if there is a blocked drain at a rental property?

There is quite a bit to consider when there is cause to explore who is responsible for a blocked drain in a property.

A little bit of wear and tear on a drain is one thing, however, if the drain is blocked from misuse and the tenant is not doing the right thing, this is something else altogether. Tenants who don’t take care of a property and its plumbing can be held responsible if there is damage that is considered to be due to misuse.

So, if there is a broken toilet that is caused due to inappropriate items being flushed down or there has been a party at the property and a toilet has been smashed due to misuse, this could fall under the tenant’s responsibility.

It’s important to realize that both the tenant and the landlord have rights, and it is a two-way street when it comes to maintenance, repairs, and any broken fixtures and fittings.

The landlord should be ensuring the property is in a safe condition, however, if the tenant is not taking good care of the property, there could be some issues as the tenancy agreement clearly states the expectations of both parties.

Whether there is a blocked drain or broken pipe or an incident that has damaged the plumbing in a property, tenants and landlords should work together to ensure an outcome that is beneficial to both parties.

What happens if tenants and landlords don’t agree about plumbing damage?

In the instance that both parties are not in agreement about an issue relating to plumbing or repairs, a tenancy law expert can be called in to assist with the proceedings and provide advice and support.

As well as this, the ombudsman is available to help to ensure that parties have a fair and reasonable tenancy agreement and if there are any conditions that seem unreasonable they are explored to ensure both parties have a fair tenancy in place.

You may also like

Pin It on Pinterest

Share This