Tips from established plumbers in London to put off plumbing emergencies
No one wants to invite plumbing emergencies on purpose. Nevertheless, they end up seeking the emergency plumbing services in London, one day or the other. Now, the responsibility essentially lies with the residents to avoid such emergencies. Paying heed to the suggestions coming straight from the plumbers’ mouth can help them deter the emergencies to a large extent.
A plumbing emergency is nothing short of a nightmare. They can create havoc disrupting the lives, not to mention the monetary loss involved.
Listed below are the simple suggestions that might just avert the necessity to seek emergency plumbing services in London.
6 Dos of plumbing
- Do clean the water heater drain at least twice in a year. The hard water from the heater has the tendency to form sediments in the drain. These sediments harden with the passage of time and clog the drain. As a result, the functional efficiency of the water heater is affected and you might end up calling the emergency plumbing services in London to have the water heater fixed.
- Do flush the drains in the bathrooms with 2-3 gallons of boiling water once every month. The shower and the tub drains are often clogged up with hair, grease, plastic etc. Pouring boiling hot water in the drains every month keeps the drain clean and free from clogging.
- Do clean the aerators in the faucet at regular intervals. With the hard water running through the pipes, the aerators are often clogged with chemicals mixed in the water. These form a layer in the aerator which restricts the water flow. Also, at times the water starts tasting different due to the chemical sedimentation.
- Do always have the heating system and other pipework at home checked before the winter sets in. The pipes tend to freeze in the winter and the pipes that already have a crack, split open causing gas leakage or water flooding. Have the pipework changed or checked by a professional plumber in London to avoid unwarranted emergencies.
- Do always run the cold water when using the disposal unit in the kitchen. This helps the kitchen drains from clogging due to unwanted waste. Never use hot water as it could trigger unnecessary problems. Usage of medium to strong cold water is recommended in the kitchen sink.
The ideal way to keep the drain from clogging is, fill the cold water 1/4th way up in the sink. Pull out the regular drain pipe and turn the disposal on. Keeps the cold water running until the disposal unit stops grinding the food. This step will keep the drain clean from food particles and avoids drain clogging.
- Do always keep the contact number of a good emergency plumbing service in London handy. Instead of running a search on the internet the last moment, identify a reliable plumbing service in London with the help of plumbers near me search beforehand or get good plumber references/recommendations from your friends. Keep the number safe for emergencies.
6 Don’ts of plumbing
- Don’t ever pour fat, cooking oils and grease in the kitchen sink. The fat and grease get accumulated with time and could lead to draining blocks and further cause drain leaks and flooding.
- Don’t ever pour hot water in the toilets. Pouring hot water in the toilet seems like a naive thing to do, but you might land with a cracked toilet bowl instead. The toilets are not designed to handle the hot water.
- Don’t dispose of the shampoo packets or any other plastics in the bathroom. It is a normal practice to throw the shampoo packets and the other plastics in the bathroom during the use. Instead, throw them in a dustbin to avoid clogging of the bathroom drains.
- Don’t dispose of the coffee waste in kitchen sinks. There is the danger of kitchen drains getting clogged up due to the settled coffee grounds on the inner surface of the drains.
- Don’t try to dispose of onion peels, celery, cornhusks or other high-fiber material in the disposal unit. They can tangle inside the disposal unit and can cause the motor to burn out. The right place to throw such waste away is surely the dust cans.
- Don’t place the dustbins under the sink. There must be someplace better to keep the dust cans than placing them under the sink. The drains under the sink, when collided with the dust cans which needs to be moved in and out on a daily basis, can cause the drains to leak if the arrangement is disturbed.
Where to reach out for help to deal with plumbing emergencies in London?
The above-mentioned tips to maintain the plumbing in perfect working condition can keep the trouble at bay at large. At the same time, having the contact number of the good emergency plumbing service in London handy is a good practice.
For regular and emergency plumbing services in London, contact us any time at 020 8877 3363. We offer all kinds of emergency plumbing services in the areas including Wandsworth, Battersea, Fulham, Earlsfield, London, Clapham Common, Clapham Junction, Nine Elms, Wimbledon, Putney, Putney Heath etc.