Slip and falls are one of the leading causes of injuries at home. They can happen to any member of the family. Even guests can also become a victim of slip and fall. Slippery floors, cluttered hallways, electrical cords, and rickety stairs are just a few of the many reasons why a person can slip and fall inside your home.
Making your home slip and fall free doesn’t necessarily mean a complete house remodel. All you need to do is to make a couple of preventive actions and basic changes within your home so everyone can be safe from slip and fall accidents.
1. Clean up the clutter around your home
One of the easiest and simplest ways to make your home slip and fall free is to keep it neat and organized, which means you have to clean up all the clutter around your house. This includes toys, stacks of magazines or old newspapers, shoes, and other objects that might get in your hallways or staircases.
- Get a family member to help you clean up the clutter around your house.
- Watch out for phone cords, electrical cables, pet bowls or other items around your house that might get in your way as they can make you slip and fall.
2. Always have lights
It’s easy to slip and fall if you are walking around your house when it’s dark. Poor lighting can cause family members to slip and fall, especially elderly people.
- Inadequate lighting is also another potential hazard especially if you have elders in your home. Make your home more suitable for your elders by installing bright lights in hallways and staircases.
- You also have to make sure that the light switches are easy to find and reach so it’ll be convenient for you to turn up the lights when you move around at night. Also, be sure to have flashlights lying around in case there’s a power interruption.